Wednesday, March 25, 2020

Alumni Spotlight: Edward Canyes (MA, 2012)

Since I graduated in May of 2012 I worked on staff at my home church in Lexington South Carolina. I oversaw small groups and kids clubs. I helped to recruit and train over 70 volunteers for the kids clubs. I also led the small group leaders (about 50ish) and their well-being and equipping.
I resigned from that position in July of 2015. 


January 2019 I was asked to join a leadership group to start kids clubs in South Florida. Since January 2019 the leadership group has grown and the leadership raised enough money for two full-time employees and we launched October 1st 2019. 


The basic model of Game Day ministry is a triangular relationship between game day, the local church and the local elementary school to conduct kids clubs and share the gospel of Jesus Christ. I was tasked with writing the first business model as well as a ministry model and the process in which the ministry got started. We had several very intelligent people speak into this whole ministry venture. During this time I realized the absolute necessity for ministry leaders to have some kind of business knowledge or background. I was fortunate enough to be a part of a family that was business orientated so I learned a lot of the things that I used for the business model from my own personal knowledge.

The ministry model was based on many principles I learned from leadership training at CIU. Between CIU and the global leadership summit gave me a great base to start this ministry venture. As of March 1st 2020 we have 15 partner churches and about 10 schools that we are in direct communication with on a weekly basis. We are starting three clubs by the end of March possibly a fourth in April. This fall we're looking to launch between 10 and 15 clubs based on all the relationships that we've been building over the last several months. Many of the schools were unable to accommodate us this year but next school year there will be many opportunities. God has been absolutely amazing in this venture. He has continued to bring people to the ministry lead us, convict us, and grow us as people and as ministry leaders. It is an absolute joy to go to work each day just waiting and seeing what God has in store for that day! Game Day is everyday! 


My degree through CIU has helped me in many different aspects. The majority of the leadership principles that I learned I have applied on a weekly if not daily basis. All of the small group training and equipping at CIU has helped me with small group development when I worked on staff in Lexington, SC and helped me to grow the small group ministry. The necessity of taking care of the small group leaders so they can take care of the body of Christ was essential. Going deep with their understanding and knowledge and equipping and then going wide with the opportunity to duplicate small groups was an absolute essential ingredient that I used and learned that from CIU.
The current ministry opportunity that God has me connected with now I use most if not all of the leadership principles that I learned at CIU and the global leadership summit. I was honored to be a part of three global leadership summits while I was at CIU. CIU has equipped me well for the ministry that I have been a part of since I graduated. 

No comments:

Post a Comment