Wednesday, March 4, 2020

Alumni Spotlight: Danny Carpenter (Master of Arts Old Testament, 1990)

"After leaving CIU I went to Venezuela with TEAM from 1991 until TEAM left in 2009. I then returned in 2010 to continue my work with the local church, this time with the denomination I was with at the time. I taught mainly Old Testament courses at Las Delicias Bible Institute in Eastern Venezuela for several years before it closed. I worked in a local church in Maturín, Venezuela, where I served as one of the pastors/elders, helped plant a church, co-started and facilitated in a church-based theological training center, co-authored a book with the other elders in Spanish (Biblical paradigm for church leadership), did leadership training locally, across Venezuela and in other countries, and did counseling.

My first wife, Linda, passed away of cancer in 2013. We had two children, Jessica and Stephen. I married a Venezuelan lady, Yulmari Sequea in 2016. She had two children, Saraí and Rommel. We came to the US in May, 2019. I resigned as a missionary in order to care for my 92-year-old mom in Waller, Louisiana.

I currently am dean of the Bible Studies Department and professor of Pro-META, an online master's program in Spanish for Latin American leaders. I am also helping a Hispanic church in Baton Rouge, Louisiana.

I published a small book in English with my twin brother, Lanny, entitled Causes of church decline. I recently published a book in Spanish, Esta cosa llamada el amor: hacia una comprensión del amor desde la perspectiva bíblica (This thing called love: toward a comprehension of love from the biblical perspective). I also co-wrote a study on Hermeneutics with my brother for Light of Life Ministries.

My Old Testament degree had helped in a number of ways. First, I've been able to share my love for and the importance of the Old Testament with Latin Americans. Many of them had not understood much of the Old Testament or its importance for today.

Second, I've been able to understand better the New Testament. I have a better appreciation for the strong connection between the testaments."

No comments:

Post a Comment