Monday, August 19, 2019

Alumni Spotlight: Phil Thompson (MDiv, 2014)


Phil Thompson graduated with a Masters of Divinity with a focus in Academic Ministries in May, 2014. He has served in various roles in his church since graduating (The Church at Cherrydale), including making several trips to Peru to train pastors. His full-time role is serving at The Gospel Coalition, overseeing the online learning endeavors (which serves about 300,000 online learners worldwide since 2017), managing video distribution, and assisting with an overall web strategy.

Phil has enrolled in the PhD in Biblical Studies program that will begin this fall. He will specialize in the New Testament. When asked how his MDiv at Columbia Biblical Seminary prepared him for the PhD program, he said: “My MDiv gave me the theological and practical tools necessary to identify areas where ongoing research in New Testament issues could benefit pastors, educators, and practitioners. It also provided me with the research and writing skills necessary for a high-caliber PhD program.” Once he finished his PhD, Phil plans to continue working with The Gospel Coalition, bringing more theological and ministerial training resources to more languages around the globe. The PhD will enable him to engage in that work with a higher degree of confidence and with a greater ability to collaborate within the academic community. He said, “I also plan to continue my personal trips abroad to train pastors as well as serving within my church as a resource for the planters and missionaries we are sending out.”

Phil said that one of the top reasons he decided the pursue his PhD at CBS was his trust in the faculty. He also said, “Over my time in the MDiv program, I built a friendship with Dr. Croteau, had the opportunity to help him with research, and enjoyed watching his influence in the academic community up close. He, and so many of my other professors, became paradigmatic for me. So when Dr. Croteau invited me to join the PhD program at CBS, I was thrilled to pursue it.”

No comments:

Post a Comment